Thursday, April 23, 2020

The 2020 Browns Draft

Well, John Dorsey is gone, and the analytics crowd appears to have increased influence. We'll see what that brings us. Dorsey has left us in better shape than he found us, and the main holes on the team appear to be at OL (especially OT,) Safety and Linebacker. The Browns are slated to pick at No. 10 overall, and should be able to well address a major need from that position.

I'm somewhat torn on what to do here. There are 4 or more potentially elite Offensive Tackles, and at least one of them is certain to be there at 10. The safe pick would be to take one of those Tackles, and shore up Baker's left side for the foreseeable future. However, there's a wrinkle here. If the Browns were to acquire OT Trent Williams from Washington, they could use the pick on another position, and still address their main Offensive Line need. So what to do?

My choice would have been to take Andrew Thomas OT Georgia at 10. Normally, I would go with the player with the highest ceiling, and at OT, I think that's Mekhi Becton OT Louisville in this draft. However, he's 6' 7" tall, and my Quarterback is a little over 6' 00". I don't see that as a good fit. Thomas has excellent footwork, excellent character, and has played against top competition. Well, apparently the New York Giants agreed with me, because they just took Thomas at 4. So, should I roll the dice and pick Becton? I won't be angry if they do, but...I'm going to roll the dice and try to acquire Trent Williams from Washington. I won't give up a 2nd round pick for him, and I know I'm going to have to pay him handsomely. I also think he's an injury risk, so this is fraught with peril. He may only have 3 solid years left. But if I can get him for a 3rd and a 5th, I'll give it a shot. And with the 10th pick in the first round of the 2020 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns select...

1) Henry Ruggs WR Alabama

Even if Isaiah Simmons is on the board. Ruggs can fly, and has huge potential. Put him opposite OBJ, with Jarvis Landry in the slot, and the amount of pressure you can put on a defense is off the charts. I know we have Defensive needs. There's still 6 more rounds to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment